We think we can see the pain in others because we have similar pain.
But when we see it, are we wallowing with them, or empathizing? There is a difference.
I’m starting to think that wallowing prevents us from seeing the person who is suffering. Bitterness only sees other bitterness to egg on.
When we are/have been in agony, our perspective dictates our response to the grief of others:
- Is it clean hurt, or infectious hurt?
- Do I see my pain with purpose, as the Divine Surgeon heals with His scalpel of choice?
- Am I fighting the treatment and hampering my recovery by picking at the scars?
- Am I finding others infected to re-infect me with their misery?
- Or are we helping each other to heal?